Skip to main content


Do I need Planning Permission - Gloucester & Stroud

About EasyPlan
Planning Permission
Permitted Development
Building Regulations
House Extensions
Loft Conversion

Garage Conversion

Take a look at our Gallery


Example Plans


Free Permitted Development Guide



EasyPlan Gloucester & Stroud

6 Howgate Close








Some renovations and extensions do not require planning permission and may be carried out under permitted development.  EasyPlan can advise whether your scheme can be carried out under permitted development or whether you will need to obtain planning permission.

If you live in a Conservation Area, a National Park, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty ,or if your property is a listed building you will need to apply for planning permission for certain types of work which do not need an application in other areas.

There ae 13 designated Conservation areas in Gloucester and 42 in Stroud.

Within a conservation area there are extra planning controls over many building works and special criteria  applied when assessing any planning applications in a conservation area, to ensure that proposals respect its character.

In some conservation areas, the Council has withdrawn (or is currently considering withdrawing) certain permitted development rights that would otherwise exist. This is achieved through what is known as an Article 4 direction.The effect of an Article 4 direction is that planning permission is required for certain minor building works which, over time, could seriously damage the special interest of a conservation area - for example, the replacement of timber windows and doors with plastic, and the removal of architectural details.

The planning department  may have removed some or all of your permitted development rights by issuing an Article 4 direction. This will mean that you have to submit a planning application for work which normally does not need one. In this case they do not normally charge you an Application Fee.

To find our more visit our permitted development page or request an ebrochure " All about Planning". 



Planning Permission applications

If the proposed building work is for a domestic extension or renovation  a householder application will need to be submitted to the local planning department. The application needs to include detailed scaled plans of both the existing property and the proposed extension or alteration, ordanance survey maps of your property and the surrounding area, application forms and an application fee of £172. If the property is in a conservation area or a listed building, the planning department may ask for certain reports and information and these requirements can vary depending on which planning department you are under.  Once your application has been deposited with the planning authority and they have verified that the application is complete ( this can take around a fortnight)  they will then issue a decision within 8 weeks.

A variety of regulations and guidelines need to be taken into account when putting together a planning application, mainly changes to the street scene, overlooking, right to light and 45 degree rule.

Most extensions and renovations will also require Building Regulations approval. This is completely separate to a planning application. Building Regulations are concerned with how an extension will be built and whether it complies with safety, fire and access regulations.

EasyPlan Gloucester and Stroud  can take care of the complete process .We submit your plans and liaise with the local authority throughout the process to ensure your application has the best chance of succes in gaining planning permission .We can also provide Building Regulations and Structual calculations.